Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

Only some of the buildings were to be either kit or scratch built this was to allow us to develop our skills in construction of buildings.  We also decided to look at the Skaledale range from Hornby to supplement the construction activity.  This proved to be a good decision as we undertook four building projects consisting of platforms with canopies, good shed, engine shed and signal box.   In all cases these proved to be challenging and took a considerable amount of our time.

The first construction project was the Signal Box which is constructed from Wills Midland signal box kit with interior detailing.  There are white LEDs inside the signal box and a yellow Partronics wall light over the access steps. It is painted in LMS building cream and brown, which forms the basic paint colours for the station building.  By the side of this are two signal junction boxes with Ten-Commandments trunking connecting them to the signal box. A pathway connects the signal box to the station platform giving access for the signal men.

Next is the Station Platforms which are constructed from Wills kits with two strips of 9*9 mm wood forming the support and allowing a central gap to run wires if required. The platform ramps are cut in half to allow a barrow crossing to be place at the end that  allow parcels and other goods to cross over.

Down each side of the station platforms is spear fencing painted in the cream colour.  At the signal box end of the platform there are 6 platform lights. Theses are made from Viessmann kits with the wheat bulbs removed and replaced with white LEDs. These are also painted in the cream and brown.

The platform canopy is constructed from Wills kits with white LEDs stuck under each section to provide lighting.  Number 2 platform has a waiting room mid way along in which there are LEDs and tubes down which the canopy lights wiring is routed. The waiting room on no1 platform is part of the station building, which is from the Skaledale range with added walls and lighting. Part way down the platforms there is a subway built from the Peco kit.

At the entrance to the station platform there is also a foot bridge to allow passengers to cross.

Constructed of the Engine shed was from two Wills two road engine shed kits modified to give a three road shed with workshop.  Each of the roads has an inspection pit made from the Peco product.  The doors of the shed are taken from the Peco modern image shed and cut to provide clearance over the track.  In the workshop there are benches and lathes together with a welding set which is powered by the Express Models welding simulation kit.  This gives the impression of activity even if the job takes all the exhibition weekend to complete!  Lighting is again done using white LEDs.  Outside the shed are two light stanchions from the user ‘bramwood’ on e-Bay.

The final construction project was the Goods Shed, which proved to be a difficult area to complete as finding a suitable building proved difficult as no readily available OO kit or ready made item met our requirements.  We finally settled on a compromise of an American Cornerstone HO kit modified to give the impression of an English good shed.  To give it the British feel we raised the floor to be level with the unloading area of the building.  This was achieved with black plasticard with spacers to support it.  It was finished off with packing cases and cable drums with a fork lift truck to move them.  The first floor area was made into an admin area with desks, chairs and coat hangers. 

Initially we could not complete the lighting for the good shed as we could not find anything suitable for the canopies.  When buying a Pacer unit on eBay and striping for servicing I found a yellow coach lighting unit. We decided to try it on the under side of a canopy and disguise the wires as drains pipes.  It gave an excellent effect of sodium lighting.

As stated before we used buildings from the Skaledale range from Hornby. However even these were modified to give the effect of rooms.  This was achieved by first jig sawing the round hole in the base to be square and as near to the edge as possible.  Black plasticard could then be glued in place to represent walls. White LEDs were place in some rooms to project the fact that the walls are there.